communityharewood house stables courtyard, visitors centre, yorkshire

The courtyard stables were built originally by John Carr of York in 1752 as part of his design for the creation of Harewood House, north of Leeds. Listed Grade l the courtyard has been restored to provide multi-use facilities including cafes and dining, retail, educational and conference venues. Work included the restoration of the south facade that was previously concealed by sheds. The south elevation now opens out onto a terrace with views across the garden and lake set out by Capability Brown.